We know what Mindy Kaling has been binge-watching! Like the rest of us, The Morning Show actress can’t get enough of The Bear on Hulu. Filled with drama and dreamy food, the series has definitely made us hungry while watching, and it appears as though Mindy felt the same!
While praising the show on Instagram, the New York Times bestseller attempted to re-create the Pasta Pomodoro from the final episode.
“Oh my god,” she said after placing a forkful of spaghetti in her mouth. “This is so good. No wonder dead Jon Bernthal loved this recipe and wanted everyone to eat it.”
If you do, too, here’s what do.
- 1 packet of spaghetti
- 3 cups San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¾ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- ½ cup basil leaves (plus extra for serving)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Add oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes, and basil to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat. Once the ingredients start to sizzle, cook between 45 seconds and 2 minutes until the basil starts to wilt. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, cut side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until it’s just starting to brown. Add the San Marzano tomatoes and mash with a potato masher until they are broken up into chunks.
- Bring everything to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Boil the spaghetti according to the package directions, minus 2 minutes.
- Pour the oil into a food processor, and chop.
- Add the oil to the tomatoes, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion. Add salt and pepper accordingly. Add the spaghetti and cook for another 2 minutes until al dente. Place the pasta in a bowl, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of good olive oil.